11th AKO PARA SA BATA The International Conference in Manila
Theme: INSPIRED Teens
Date: November 19-20, 2019
Venue: SMX Convention Center Manila
Plenary sessions will be at Function Rooms 4-5 while the simultaneous sessions will be held at Meeting Rooms 2-10, and Function Room 5.
The 2019 AKO PARA SA BATA Conference is co-presented by UNICEF in partnership with the Council for the Welfare of Children and the Society of Adolescent Medicine of the Philippines, Inc.
The Child Protection Network Foundation and the AKO PARA SA BATA Conference join in the celebration of the 30th anniversary of the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child. A tribute to child rights advocates by the Child Rights Coalition Asia will be held on the first day of the conference.
The 11th AKO PARA SA BATA International Conference aims to advocate for the adoption of the INSPIRE strategies into the national and local programmes to end violence against children and adolescents.
At the end of the conference, the participants will be able to:
- Identify the unique vulnerabilities and challenges that adolescents face in today’s rapidly changing world.
- Explain risk-taking and resilience in the context of adolescent psychosocial and cognitive development.
- Describe evidence-based approaches for adolescents under the INSPIRE package.
- Name efforts and programs initiated by adolescents and youth that address crucial issues related to violence and discrimination.
- Recommend ways to promote authentic youth engagement in existing and future programs to end violence against children.
DAY 1 – NOVEMBER 19, 2019 (Tuesday)
Master of Ceremonies: Mr. Chino Franche and teen representative
7:00 AM – 9:00 AM Registration
9:00 AM – 9:45 AM Opening Ceremonies
- (5mins) National Anthem and Invocation
- (5mins) Welcome Remarks by Conference Chair Renee Joy P. Neri, MD
- (5mins) Conference Overview by Scientific Committee Chair Ma. Emma A. Llanto, MD
- (30mins) Tribute to Child Rights Advocates
9:45 AM – 12:05 NN Plenary Sessions
Keynote Speech by Rolando JoselitoDelizo Bautista, Secretary, DSWD
- P1. CRC @30: Gains and Achievements by the Council for the Welfare of Children
- P2. Wired Adolescence: Perceptions, Risks and Opportunities by Fr. Fidel D. Orendain, SDB
- P3. Teen Brain Under Construction: Implications in Health and Law by Liane P. Alampay, PhD, Professor, Department of Psychology, Ateneo de Manila University
12:05 NN – 1:30 PM Book Launch 30th Anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Lunch Break
1:30 PM – 5:00 PM Simultaneous Sessions
- A1: INSPIRED BARMM
BARMM Youth: Empowered, Engaged & Ready for Nation-building
- B1: Implementation and enforcement of laws
Juvenile Justice: Forging Ahead for Children in Conflict with the Law
- C1: Norms and values
The Rainbow Connection: Examining Norms and Attitudes Towards Gender Roles & Gender Diversity
- D1: Safe environments
Shining The Light on The Dark Web
DAY 2: NOVEMBER 20, 2019 (Wednesday)
Master of Ceremonies: Dr. Lyra Alcantara and teen representative
8:30 AM – 11:25 AM Plenary Sessions
Keynote Speech by Rolando Joselito Delizo Bautista, Secretary, DSWD
- P4. Violence against Children in the Philippines: Issues on Online Sexual Abuse and Exploitation by Julia Rees, Deputy Representative, UNICEF
- P5. SAFERkids PH by Richard Sisson, Deputy Head of Mission Australian Embassy to the Philippines
- P6. Off the Record: Bullies and MOMOs Gone Viral
Hosts: Atty. Katrina Legarda and Prof. Randy David
Panelists: Ms. ZenaidaPadullo, DepEd-Judge Feliciano Belmonte HS; Dr. Mira Alexis P. Ofreneo, Ateneo de Manila University; Mr. Ed Briones, Philippine Science High School System
- P7. Trending: Stress, Anxiety, and Depression among Gen Z by Cornelio G. Banaag, Jr., MD, Founding Member, Philippine Society of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- P8. For Teens, By Teens: Highlights from the Teen Conference
12:15 NN – 1:30 PM Lunch Break
1:30 PM – 5:00 PM Simultaneous Sessions
- A2: Parent and caregiver support
Masayang Pamilya Para sa Pilipinong Teenager: Positive Parenting for Teens
- B2: Income and economic strengthening
Influencers, Entrepreneurs, and Dreamers: Young People at the Helm
- C2: Response and support services
Mental Health Screening and Interventions: A Primer for Front-liners
- D2: Education and life skills
Comprehensive Sexuality Education: Beyond the Birds & the Bees
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM Fellowship Night at the Music Hall, Mall of Asia